When it comes to record for interviews, vlogging, youtube videos, podcasts or other special events, mirrorless cameras are the best choice. But these cameras do not have high quality built-in microphones for audio recording. That is why you need an additional microphone to get a better quality of sound production.
There are a lot of microphones available in the market today and that is why it is a difficult task to choose which is the best one for you. For buying the best microphone for your DSLR or other camcorders, you need to know about the features that those microphones are offering.
We have selected 10 best microphones for your ease. You can have a look at these microphones’ details and decide which one will suit you the most. All of these are shotgun microphones and can be purchased from the links attached with them.
Top Ten Best Shotgun Mic For Mirrorless Camera
This microphone is one of its kind as it is specially designed for social media platforms. This microphone is a great addition for vloggers, youtubers and videographers. The PowerDeWise states that the words have the power to change the world that is why they have made this device for social media platforms.
This device has great compatibility with iPhone iPad smartphones DSLR and PC. This device is a great tool for recording crisp sounds for social media platforms. It is an Omnidirectional mic which has an easy clip on system that you can use for voice dictation and ASMR. All the essential accessories are available in the package that you will require to get a professional sound quality.
- Compatibility: This professional microphone has a wide compatibility with different devices Such as iPhone iPad Android tablets Android smartphones a DSLR and PC. You will need a lightning adaptor to connect this microphone with your iPhone. This microphone comes with a 3.5 mm TRRS jack that can be connected with most Android devices, Windows PC and laptops.
- Design: This microphone has an acrylic black body. It is light in weight and can be carried easily anywhere and whenever you want to record.
- Plug n play: This microphone does not need any extra battery for its operation. you just have to plug it in your camera and you are ready to go. For iPhone 7 and latest versions you need a 3.5 mm lightning adapter.
- Warranty: This Lavalier microphone from PowerDeWise gives a carefree warranty of one year. During this duration if you find any technical issue you can get help from the expert’s team.
- Package contents: The package contains a Lapel microphone, extension cord, 4 to 3 pin stereo adapter and extra wind muffs.
The VideoMic NTG Is a broadcast grade shotgun microphone which is specially designed for on camera use. it contains the same amazing pressure gradient electret condenser acoustic design that was available in NTG5. with this great feature, it gives a natural and uncolored sound. It has a super cardioid polar pattern that focuses on the sound off the subject present in front of it.
it has a very low self noise which makes it one of the best on camera microphones. It is equipped with digital switching which gives you access to a high pass filter, high frequency boost, -20 dB and safety channel. it also has a unique infinitely variable control that will provide you the precise output which you want. It has an auto sensing 3.5 mm output , which helps it in accommodating according to the connected device.
This microphone has a white compatibility with different devices. you can pair it with compact cameras, smartphones, a DSLR or on a pistol grip. It is a fully featured USB microphone.
- Frequency response: it has an amazing frequency response and it is provided with a highly directional supercardioid polar pattern that helps in recording clear and crisp sound.
- Digital switching: This microphone provides a high pass filter That will create a professional sound output and the variable gain control on the microphone gives the most wanted output sounds.
- Auto sensing: When you will connect the microphone to a camera or smartphone, It will accommodate according to the device due to its auto sensing feature.
- Battery: The microphone operates with 1 Lithium polymer battery that is included in the package.This battery can last up to 30 hours.
- Frequency range: The VideoMic NTG has a frequency range of 20 Hertz- 20000 Hertz. This range is enough to produce high quality and natural sound for your videos.
The VideoMicro Is a compact on camera microphone with the pressure gradient accounting principle. When it is used with a wide range of cameras, it produces high quality sounds due to its cardioid condenser capsule. It is a lightweight microphone which has a body of aluminium. This helps it in rejecting the radio frequencies. It is designed with ceramic black coating which is anti glare.
In order to avoid any vibrations or camera handling sounds, the VideoMicro is equipped with a shock mount. It has a suspension of thermoplastic that does not easily wear out or sag or snap. The other suspensions which are made of cheap plastic, they easily collapse. This compact on camera microphone is provided with a furry windshield which minimises the sound of wind effectively so that you can easily conduct outdoor recordings.
- High compatibility: This microphone is compatible with smartphones, camcorders, a DSLR and laptops. If you wish to use it with an iPhone you will have to use a 3.5 mm TRS or TRRS cable.
- Plug and play: You do not require a battery to operate this videomicro compact on-camera microphone. you just have to connect it to your camera and start recording.
- Windshield: When you want to record in outdoor scenarios the biggest hurdle is the sound of wind. To overcome this problem this microphone is provided with a WS9 synthetic furry windshield having a foam inner cell which will reduce the wind sound effectively.
- Design: This microphone has a very compact design having a length of 80 millimetres and weight of 42 grams. It is a lightweight microphone that you can carry easily wherever you want.
- Warranty: This VideoMicro compact microphone provides a worry free warranty of 2 years when you register the microphone.
It is the Canon’s first shotgun microphone which is specially designed for EOS Digital cameras to improve the sound quality. It is a great tool for professional videographers and aspiring filmmakers to record and produce high quality sounds for their videos.
This microphone provides different directional controls and shooting modes which you can select according to the environment and your need. Shotgun mode is used when you are in a situation where you have to interview someone. Stereo mode (90/120) can be used for a wider range of audio recording for example if you are in a concert and you want to record it.
The Canon directional microphone has a shock mount feature, which reduces the handling sound and vibrational sounds during the recordings. The integrated windshield helps in minimising the sounds of wind in outdoor scenarios. In addition to these, it has battery power that is replaceable so you don’t have to rely on your camera’s power.
- Pick-up settings: this microphone has 3 pickup settings. The shotgun mode picks up sound in a narrow band such as during an interview. 90 degree stereo mode is used to capture sounds on a wider range for example recording the talking of a group of people. 120 degree stereo mode is used when you have a large area to cover for example recording a musical concert or a backyard wedding occasion.
- Windscreen: this directional microphone is equipped with a windscreen which reduces the sound of peripheral environment and surrounding noises that can compromise the quality of your audio recording.
- Frequency response: It has a wide frequency response From 50Hz to 16000Hz. If you are recording a song it can encompass from low notes to high notes. You can also enjoy the recording of natural phenomena such as waves on a beach aur Birds chirping in the forest.
- Battery: This microphone uses a replaceable CR2032 button battery which is included in the package. So you do not have to use your camera’s power. It also has a power lamp which identifies the level of battery so you will know when you have to replace the battery.
- Shock-mount: To reduce the handling sound and other vibrational sounds, this microphone is equipped with a shock mount. It will also reduce the lens driver sound.
As the name says, this microphone is specially designed to record interviews but it can also be used for different practical occasions. It is used with cameras and high sensitivity condenser microphones to enhance the quality of audio.
This microphone has a heart-shaped single-point recording feature that focuses on unidirectional audio and refuses to record any surrounding noise to get picked. A 1.5 AA battery is required for the function of this device which has a life of up to 100 hours. The integrated power indicator shows a signal when it is time to replace the battery.
To reduce the electromagnetic interference, the device is made of sturdy solid alloy material. It has a shock mount that effectively reduces the vibrations and handling sounds of the camera.
TAKSTAR SGC-598 has a cardioid polar pattern which makes it an amazing microphone to get crisp, clear and natural audio recording. Its frequency response from 50Hz-16kHz enables it to record sounds of every note.
- Compatibility: This microphone is easily used with Nikon, Canon, DV camcorders, DSLR and other audio/video camcorders.
- Shock-resistant: TAKSTAR SGC-598 has a shock-resistant design having a shock mount that reduces the mechanical sounds during the recording and gives you an uncolored audio quality.
- Windscreen: This device comes with a windscreen which minimizes the buzzing sound of wind and other unnecessary sounds.
- Battery: Instead of using the camera power, TAKSTAR SGC-598 uses a 1.5V AA alkaline battery. A built-in power indicator is also available so you will know when it is time to change the battery.
- Package contents: The package comes with a TAKSTAR SGC-598 microphone, a windscreen and an English user manual.
This field recorder and microphone is a perfect combo for the filmmakers who want to make videos with professional audio quality. It includes a two-channel zoom field recorder(F1), Zoom shotgun microphone and a shock-mount.
This is an incredible tool to record audio for run and gun videos. It means that you do not have to skip any minor detail while shooting. It has SGH-6 shotgun microphone which is known to capture clear and hyper-directional audios.
You can record up to 24bit/96kHz with the help of the F1 field recorder. While recording with Zoom F1-SP microphone, you do not have to worry about post-recording editing because the recording is not only saved in your camera but it can also be saved directly in microSD card.
- Ready to record: You do not have to buy any battery to start recording. Use the shock-mount to connect the field recorder and microphone with your camera. Then use the 3.5mm cable to connect the F1’s audio output with the camera input and you are ready to go.
- One-touch button controls: Zoom F1-SP is an easy to use microphone. You can access the main controls by just touching once.
- Shock-mount: While recording outdoors, you can have smooth recording with the integrated shock mount. It minimizes the mechanical sounds and vibrations.
- Display: It is very hard to see clearly on the screen during day-recording. Zoom F1-SP has a monochromatic display that gives clear display of battery level, low-cut settings during sunlight.
- The box contains: The package contents include F1 field recorder, SGH-6 shotgun microphone, windscreen, shock mount, stereo mini cable for DSLR, 2 AAA batteries, user manual.
Rode VideoMic GO is a lightweight shotgun microphone which has a line gradient acoustic principle. It gives a directional audio which provides clear and crisp sounds. It has an amazing pickup area that focuses on the subject present in front of it.
With its smart pickup quality, the background sounds are minimized giving you a natural sound output. It has an integrated shockmount that reduces the vibrational sounds and camera handling noise that may disturb the quality of audio recorded.
It has a hard-wearing thermoplastic suspension that does not easily wear out, sag or snap. On the other hand the local plastic wears out easily and destroys the quality of the microphone.
It does not have any complicated switching, so you can easily control the device. It takes power from your camera and does not need any external power source.
The VideoMic GO is made in Sydney.
- Compatible: Rode VideoMic GO has great compatibility with camcorders, DSLR and smartphones. It can be used for interviews, sport events and dialogue recordings.
- Windshield: To minimize the sound of wind during outdoor recordings, it is equipped with a windshield which will also reduce the sound of surrounding vibrations.
- Power: Rode VideoMic GO is a plug and play device. You only have to connect it with your camera and it will make your mic operating. You do not have to spend money on external batteries.
- Lightweight: This microphone is one of the lightest mic, which gives it the advantage to be carried easily.
- Rycote shockmount: This microphone has an integrated shockmount that does not allow the vibrational sounds to be produced and it also reduces the handling sounds.
This shotgun microphone is specially designed for DSLR, audio/video cameras, camcorders and smartphones. This mic can be used as a source of primary and reference audios recordings. This has an ultra-lightweight design that you can carry with you anywhere you want.
On the rear face of the microphone, there are control buttons which you can easily access. These are control, filter and power buttons. The microphone has built-in 40Hz-20kHz frequency response, in addition to these it has a selectable high pass filter of 80Hz which can effectively reduce low end sounds of air conditioner.
Below these control buttons are the level settings, which are used for the control and boost of sound levels. Different attenuation levels are used for different types of environment recordings. This mic has a standard size of shock mount and it also has a ⅜ inch thread on the bottom to support the mic with the camera.
- Compatibility: This microphone is compatible with DSLR camera and full frame cameras. It is a great tool for recording the interviews, dialogues and sporting events.
- Low-self noise: It is equipped with a condenser capsule which generates broadcast quality audio with the help of a 3.5mm connector. A low-self noise of 14dB makes it an incredible shotgun microphone.
- Power: This microphone uses a 9V battery that can keep it running for up to 70 hours.
- Shock mount & boom pole mounting: The microphone has an integrated shock mount which aids in providing crisp, clear and natural sounds. The integrated boom pole mounting eases the handling of the microphone with the camera.
- Package contents: The package comes with a microphone, shock-mount, windshield, boom pole mounting.
It is a high quality condenser shotgun microphone that generates clear and crisp sounds. It also reduces the un-necessary background noises. The integrated shock mount helps in reducing the mechanical sounds that reduces the audio quality.
It is a pro version which has the control buttons on the rear face of the microphone. These buttons make the handling really easy. Its super cardioid polar pattern makes it a unique shotgun microphone for extraordinary sound recording.
This shotgun microphone has an integrated shockmount that is responsible for reducing handling sounds. The windscreen provided with the mic reduces the wind sounds. An advanced feature of dead cat adds to the quality of audio minimising the wind sounds to another level.
This microphone has a sensitivity of -40dB which means that it can record the most wanted audio quality. It has a 75dB signal to noise ratio.
- Professional quality: This is a high-quality DSLR shotgun microphone that can provide you with natural, crisp and uncolored sounds.
- Clear audio: Its super cardioid polar pattern, 3 stage audio control level (10db,0db,-10db) and selectable low cut filter are responsible for high quality audio.
- Warranty: This microphone comes with a care-free warranty of 1 year. So, you can consult the experts team if you find any technical problems during this year.
- Battery: It uses a 9V battery power to ensure the recording does not stop and the sensitivity of the device is not compromised.
- Package contents: The box includes a standard foam windscreen, dead cat furry windscreen, and a carry case to keep everything safe and together.
The SmartRig+ is a great tool to connect your microphone and the guitar or any other musical instrument to your DSLR, camcorder, PC, laptop or any smartphone. It has 2 independent channels that allow you to control different microphones for guitars at the same time.
It has an interface that has 3 different input levels, you can choose one according to your desired device. Two XLR mic inputs, two guitar inputs and two jack inputs to connect your musical instrument or the microphone.
The SmartRig+ has outputs of a standard 1.8″ 3.5mm cable that can be used with a smartphone, tablet or any camcorder. The two gain control thumb-wheels are available to control different levels. You can choose between mono and stereo mode to record audios according to the environment.
- Microphone and guitar interface: The Saramonic SmartRig+ is a two channel portable device that connects your guitar or any musical instrument and microphone for recording professional audio quality.
- Two-channel microphone: It is a perfect device to capture audio on the spot. Its guitar interface has two independent audio inputs. Each of which is fitted with a XLR input and each has their own control knobs. It is equipped with 48V phantom power and two ⅛” jack inputs.
- User-friendly: The SmartRig+ has a user friendly feature that is used to switch between mono and stereo modes. You can enjoy the stereo recording and the advantage of recording two different tracks at the same time.
- Real-time monitoring: You can now route your audio signal with a standard head jack or you can use a TRRS cable to connect it with a DSLR camera or any smartphone. Then you can have a real-time monitoring of the work that you have been recording.
- Warranty: The SmartRig+ comes with a warranty of one year.
- Package contents: The box contains The SmartRig+ unit, one solid nylon portable protector bag black and one user manual.
Finding the best shotgun microphone for your mirrorless camera can be a mind-boggling task. There is a huge variety of shotgun microphones which are available offline and online. I hope that you would have found the information quite helpful provided by us. We wish you a very amazing videographic journey.